What is longitude?
How is it calculated?
Listen to this short talk
Now answer the Understanding question on this page
Which of these statements is most accurate?
1. It is not difficult to measure latitude.
2. Longitude is calculated by the position of the stars
3. A marine chronometer is used to calculate a ship's location.
4. All chronometers are set to Greenwich time.
True or false?
a) Latitude is not difficult to calculate.
b) You need a fixed harbour time & the time on board to calculate the longitude of a ship
c) Longitude is your distance north or south of the Equator
d) ‘Heavenly Bodies’ refers to the Sun, Moon, stars etc.
e) The British most commonly used Greenwich time.
Choose a synonym for the word or phrase in bold
1. It's relatively easy to calculate ....
a) almost b) comparatively c) very d) completely
2. The answer to that problem turned out ....
a) was unexpectedly b) was discovered to be
3. Before a ship set sail
a) start a voyage b) end a voyage c) sail at full speed